Covenant Statement on
Marriage, Gender and Sexuality
Covenant Christian School is a ministry of Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) of Panama City, FL. As a member congregation of The Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), we re-affirm our commitment to our church doctrinal standards regarding Biblical marriage and human sexuality. Our historic standards are reflected clearly in The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter XXIV and in the teachings of The Westminster Shorter and Larger Catechisms regarding The Seventh Commandment. Our historic standards are based upon the doctrinal standards of the Bible clearly taught in, but not limited to, the following passages: Genesis 2:24; Leviticus 18:1-30; Romans 1:26-32; 1 Corinthians 5:1-2; 6:9-11; 7:10; 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8; Hebrews 13:4; Ephesians 5:22-23; and Mark 10:6-9.
Homosexual practice is sin. The Bible teaches that all particular sins flow from our rebellious disposition of heart. Just as with any other sin, the PCA deals with people in a pastoral way, seeking to transform their lifestyle through the power of the gospel as applied by the Holy Spirit. Hence, in condemning homosexual practice we claim no self-righteousness, but recognize that any and all sin is equally heinous in the sight of a holy God.
The PCA is committed to the sanctity of human sexual relationships. We believe God’s intent and design in creation was that male and female would be complementary, that the privilege of sexual expression would be between a male and female only, and this expression would be only in the context of marriage. Therefore, any heterosexual or homosexual behavior or relationship that does not conform to God’s design does violence to the human spirit and distorts God’s intent for men and women.
Therefore, Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) and the ministry of Covenant Christian School re-affirm our historic theological, biblical and confessional standards regarding marriage, gender, and sexuality:
1. We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God (Gen. 2:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
2. We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Holy Scripture (Gen. 2:18-25). We believe that God intends intimate sexual relations to only occur between one man and one woman who are married to each other (1 Cor. 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb. 13:4). We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
3. We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexuality, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God (Matt. 15:18-20; 1 Cor. 6:9-10).
4. We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21; Rom. 10:9-10; 1 Cor. 6:9-11).
5. We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Holy Scripture, the doctrines of our holy religion nor the example of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Due to our commitment to foster a church and school culture of Biblical love and holiness, and to preserve the function and integrity of Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) members, as well as the staff, students and families of Covenant Christian School and the community, these standards will impact our decisions for the ministry of Covenant Church and School: including, but not limited to, facility use, bathroom and locker room designations, marriage ceremonies, church membership, the hiring of staff and volunteers for both church and school, and our evaluation of current and prospective students being admitted into or retained in Covenant Christian School (Matt. 5:16; Phil. 2:14-16; 1 Thess. 5:22). To God be the glory!